Oracle Forum - The Knowledge Center for Oracle Professionals - Looking Beyond the Possibilities

Full Version: Oracle E-Business Suite Hardware Sizing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The term ‘sizing ’ is most commonly used to exercise the process of working out how much disk space, memory and processing power you will required to run your Oracle Applications environment. Further to elaborate sizing an Oracle Applications environment is defined as providing the appropriate Oracle Applications systems (e.g. a development system, a UAT system, a Production system, etc.) to support the project and identifying the resources required to create a production system.

In practice this analysis can be a very complex undertaking. Projects are frequently started with precise finance and even precise hardware environments pre-defined. However, this is usually done before the start of project with a thorough understanding of the final system requirement. Sizing hardware is always a challenge. The issue here is that production sized hardware usually needs to be procured even before the project has started. This is usually the case with organizations where Oracle and Oracle EBS is being installed for the first time. There is no prior version of the application, to benchmark against. Number of the hardware vendors provides sizing sheets that can be filled out, and a rough estimate required can be reached.

We're frequently asking to Oracle Support in Service Requests (SRs) to guide on the appropriate hardware specification for an Oracle Applications environment. Some of the areas we should keep in mind are, but not limited to:
• It should not get conflicted as Sizing a mere calculation rather it is a process.
• Sizing is a complex, iterative process and must be treated with care during the implementation.
• Sizing is a major assignment in any Oracle Project
• System sizing and architecture goes a long way in determining the TCO of the software
• It potentially means ability to grow vertically(Module wise) and Horizontally (Data)'
• Customer, hardware vendor and the consulting partner should work together to find the best sizing strategy.
• Your database Size should be based on benchmarks and collective experience of Oracle, H/W vendor and knowledge gained from existing customers.
• Sizing process should not be confused with capacity planning, as both are different parameters.
• Scaling & load balancing requirements can influence the architecture landscape
The reality is that sizing an Oracle Applications environment is a multipart task to carry out before the project start. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration.
• Underestimating the hardware that you need will have performance and budgetary consequences
• Overestimating the hardware you need wastes valuable resources.
• Poor performance of a system when it is rolled out will easily undermine confidence in a project.
• The functionality of the software may be perfectly good but if it is delivered on inappropriately sized hardware it may take time to fix and the integrity of the whole project may be called into question.
I have added below different sources for hardware sizing, including different vendor’s spreadsheets.

A good article of Steven Chan:  A Primer on Hardware Sizing for Oracle E-Business Suite
https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entr...ing_primer

IBM Sizing Questionnaire for Oracle E-Business Suite Applications - New Implementation
http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/a...dex/PRS266

A good document of Andrew Rivenes: Sizing Oracle Applications Projects, A Technical Perspective
http://www.appsdba.com/papers/oasizeLLNL.pdf

Different Vendor’s Sizing questionnaires are attached in this post

You can refer below link if you are looking for info on hardware sizing for Oracle Fusion Applications
Hardware Sizing for Oracle Fusion Applications 11g 

whoamieck

(03-21-2011, 06:09 PM)Kashif Manzoor Kamyana Wrote: [ -> ]The term ‘sizing ’ is most commonly used to exercise the process of working out how much disk space, memory and processing power you will required to run your Oracle Applications environment. Further to elaborate sizing an Oracle Applications environment is defined as providing the appropriate Oracle Applications systems (e.g. a development system, a UAT system, a Production system, etc.) to support the project and identifying the resources required to create a production system.

In practice this analysis can be a very complex undertaking. Projects are frequently started with precise finance and even precise hardware environments pre-defined. However, this is usually done before the start of project with a thorough understanding of the final system requirement. Sizing hardware is always a challenge. The issue here is that production sized hardware usually needs to be procured even before the project has started. This is usually the case with organizations where Oracle and Oracle EBS is being installed for the first time. There is no prior version of the application, to benchmark against. Number of the hardware vendors provides sizing sheets that can be filled out, and a rough estimate required can be reached.

We're frequently asking to Oracle Support in Service Requests (SRs) to guide on the appropriate hardware specification for an Oracle Applications environment. Some of the areas we should keep in mind are, but not limited to:
• It should not get conflicted as Sizing a mere calculation rather it is a process.
• Sizing is a complex, iterative process and must be treated with care during the implementation.
• Sizing is a major assignment in any Oracle Project
• System sizing and architecture goes a long way in determining the TCO of the software
• It potentially means ability to grow vertically(Module wise) and Horizontally (Data)'
• Customer, hardware vendor and the consulting partner should work together to find the best sizing strategy.
• Your database Size should be based on benchmarks and collective experience of Oracle, H/W vendor and knowledge gained from existing customers.
• Sizing process should not be confused with capacity planning, as both are different parameters.
• Scaling & load balancing requirements can influence the architecture landscape
The reality is that sizing an Oracle Applications environment is a multipart task to carry out before the project start. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration.
• Underestimating the hardware that you need will have performance and budgetary consequences
• Overestimating the hardware you need wastes valuable resources.
• Poor performance of a system when it is rolled out will easily undermine confidence in a project.
• The functionality of the software may be perfectly good but if it is delivered on inappropriately sized hardware it may take time to fix and the integrity of the whole project may be called into question.
I have added below different sources for hardware sizing, including different vendor’s spreadsheets.

A good article of Steven Chan: A Primer on Hardware Sizing for Oracle E-Business Suite
http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2010/...rimer.html

IBM Sizing Questionnaire for Oracle E-Business Suite Applications - New Implementation
http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/a...dex/PRS266

A good document of Andrew Rivenes: Sizing Oracle Applications Projects, A Technical Perspective
http://www.appsdba.com/papers/oasizeLLNL.pdf

Different Vendor’s Sizing questionnaires are here:
Have you got trial software ? please share ?

Grrrr, can't find anything on R12 sizing, SOATC used to provide figures for how many light,medium,heavy could be supported by different CPU's, eg, a UltraSparc IV+ 1.6Ghz could support X business events per hour meaning it could support A heavy users, B medium users and C light users. It also included figures for how many CM queues could typically be supported. I can't find any of this information anywhere.

I have access to 11i systems, can anyone tell me what the average uplift is from 11i (11.5.10) to R12.1 in terms of CPU & memory?

If anyone can state how many light or medium or heavy users could be supported by a Intel processore (model X) then that would be very useful. I simply need indicative figures before I approach hardware vendors.

I tried looking at the Oracle standard benchmarks so I could backwards from there but all the R12 stuff is on a single tirt for specific batch processing, older benchmarks for supporting X number of online users is all for 11i (hence the need for an indicative appreciation of the uplift in CPU/Memory).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I cant download any of the attached Documents, Always it returns
'Sorry! You've reached the limit of downloaded attachments per day!
The maximum downloaded attachments per day is : 5'.

Please Help me to download.

Thanks